Virginia Sauer's Scalloped Carrots
- 4 tb (1/2 stick) butter or margarine; divided (1 tbsp.
- 2 tbsp.
- and 1 tbsp.)
- 1 lb (8 - 10) raw carrots; peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch disks ( 3 3/4 - 4 cups)
- Cold water
- 1 c (1/4 lb) grated processed American cheese spread (e. g.; Velveeta)
- divided (1/2 cup and 1/2 cup)
- 3/4 c Chopped raw onion; (approximately 1 large onion)
- 2 tb Instant-blending flour; (e. g.
- 1/2 ts Salt
- 1/4 ts Dry mustard
- 1 pn Black pepper
- 1 Container; (8-ounce) (1 cup) half and half cream
- room temperature
- 1/4 c Dry unseasoned bread crumbs
These were originally posted by Virginia Sauer and are fantastic. _EVERYONE_ loves this. In addition to being delicious, it reheats perfectly, and is therefore ideal for covered dish, potluck, and buffet dinners. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread 1 tablespoon of the butter over bottom and sides of 1-quart casserole. Set aside. Pour carrots into 2-quart saucepan. Add enough cold water to cover carrots. Cook over high flame until water comes to a boil. Lower flame to moderate and continue cooking until carrots are barely tender when pierced with a fork (about 6 minutes). Drain carrots in colander. Set aside until cool enough to touch. Pour 1/3 of the drained carrots into the bottom of the greased casserole. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the cheese. Pour half of the remaining carrots into a layer over the cheese. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Top with remaining carrots. Set aside. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in medium-sized skillet. Add chopped onion. Saute over low flame until golden (about 3 minutes). Sprinkle with flour, salt, mustard, and pepper. Stir with wire whisk until mixture forms a paste. Gradually add cream (while continuing to stir constantly). Cook until thickened (consistency of a sauce). Pour over carrot-cheese mixture. Set aside. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in small pan. Add bread crumbs. Cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown. Sprinkle toasted bread crumbs evenly over contents of casserole. Place on center shelf of oven and bake 25 minutes. Serve hot.
Wat vind je van het recept? Geef je mening!0 0
Reageer zelf op dit recept
Over dit recept
- Aantal keer bekeken: 379x